Posted: 11 January, 2015
Sydney Siege Memorial Plans Unveiled
NSW Premier reveals that sea of flowers will bloom forever with commemorative garden
This sounds beautiful.
The NSW Premier has announced that there will be a permanent Memorial to the Lindt Café siege victims, featuring a garden that will utilise compost made from the thousands of flowers left in Martin Place after the shocking attack last year.
Set to be unveiled in the second half of the year, the partnership between the City of Sydney and the state government will consult with the families of victims Katrina Dawsom and Tori Johnson, along with those hostages who survived the ordeal, when designing the tribute.
“We will never forget Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, or the suffering that their loss inflicted on their loved ones,” Mr Baird said.
“Nor will we forget the ordeal of the surviving hostages, or the courage of those police and emergency workers who put themselves in the line of fire on the awful morning of December 16 last year.”
If it is pulled off as promised, it sounds like this will be a beautiful memorial that reflects the outpouring of grief, support and mutual respect that followed the siege. All things going to plan, the Premier has said that the permanent memorial will be unveiled on or before the anniversary of the event.